CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Monday, January 9, 2012

Canvas Verse Tutorial

I have a good friend who has a birthday this week!  I thought it would be fun to create a subway style canvas piece with her favorite Bible verse.  It wasn't difficult, just time consuming.  It will get easier now that I've made my first sign.


Get a blank canvas.  I got mine at Michael's.  I bought a 12 by 14 inch size.


Paint the top of the white canvas white.  Why, you ask?  I'll show you in a minute, but it is for touch up purposes.


Once you let the white paint dry (mine dried overnight), you can cut out your adhesive vinyl letters.  I used my Silhouette to write out most of the words from Jeremiah 29:11,13.  Next time I will play with the size of each word and have more variance.


Tape off lines equadistance apart from one another on the canvas.  My masking tape lines are 1 and 3/4 inches apart.


As you attach the vinyl letters, you can play with spacing and take off the masking tape as you go.


Voila!


Now you need to choose a color to paint or spray paint your canvas.  I wanted a distressed look, so I wasn't going for glossy, perfect coverage.  My 2 year old dumped his snack bowl on the wet paint, so I had to actually add more spray paint than I planned, which took some of the grayish look I wanted away.  If you want an even spray, do a few coats.


Peel up the vinyl letters after the spray paint dries.  MAKE SURE your vinyl letters are pressed down tightly before you spray, as you get bleeding into the white space.  Don't worry, though,  because you painted the canvas a white that you can match and touch up!  This first letter was my worst one.


Here is the final product.  I dry brushed some white to make the canvas look more distressed.  The edges look great with the dry brush technique.

I like it!  I want to make one for my house that is in softer font and with a mustard or sage color.  I hope my friend likes it!  Have fun creating!

This post is linked to:

Todays Creative Blog

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...